The organ was built as a 3-manual instrument in 1990 by the local firm Lloyd & Haynes of Bilston, mainly using pipework dating from circa 1910 by two branches of the same family firm: Nicholson & Co of Worcester and Nicholson & Lord of Walsall. The pipes and many of the other working parts were rescued from several redundant organs in (mainly Methodist) churches of the surrounding area. Upon its completion, a recital was given by Dr Roy Massey, MBE, then Organist of Hereford Cathedral.
It was enlarged by John Lloyd (now retired) in 2003-5 by the addition of a Solo division. A 64-level piston-capture system was added in 2013. The organ is now in the care of Peter Spencer Ltd of Coventry.
A 38-page fully illustrated history of the organ-building project with a description of its tonal resources is available for download HERE.
Listen to the organ ...